The British media are in frenzy (not unusual) this morning after a 2 year old was served whisky in a Frankie and Benny restaurant in Swansea, Wales. The boy Sonny Rees was there for his birthday celebration with his family when human error led to the boy being served whisky instead of the fruit juice his parents had ordered. The food chain has apologised for the error. The child was taken to hospital to be checked over but was OK and allowed to leave a few hours later and advised to eat a full English breakfast and keep off the booze for a few days. There is no information as to what type or brand of whisky is favoured by 2 year olds. The Scottish Whisky Store would be interested to know if it was Irish whiskey, American whiskey or Scottish whisky which this 2 year old was gulping down.
What makes this story even more interesting is that the boy drank it and according to his parents almost drank all of it! Well it was his birthday!
I know my 2 year old isn’t too keen on whisky as when he gets close to the smell he pulls a funny face. I remember as child my father and grandfather drinking whisky and the smell was enough to put me off. How things have changed. Although we are taking a tongue and cheek view of this story the Scottish Whisky Store does not think giving whisky, scotch or otherwise, to anyone under the legal drinking age.