An Cnoc Whisky Knockdhu Distillery
Now called ‘an Cnoc’ to avoid confusion with the similarly named Knockando, Knockdhu was founded in 1894 close to Knock Hill where a number of springs were found with pure water ideal for whisky distilling. Demand for Knockdhu whisky was high and warehouse had to be built a few years later in 1898. The whisky distillery went through several owners during the 20th century including the Distillers agency, Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd before Inverhouse purchased the by now closed distillery in 1988.
Although the name was changed in 1993 it was the new owners Inverhouse who started to promote the an Cnoc brand. The original Knockdhu came from the Gaelic Cnoc Dubh which translates as black hill. Knockdhu was an example of modern distillery building in its time with accommodation built for all employees, a steam engine providing power and pot stills producing a massive (for the time) two thousand five hundred gallons of whisky a week. Although the accommodation has been modernised the pot stills remain the same.
The owners Inver House have tried to keep with the traditional methods using wooden ‘Douglas Fir’ washbacks and storing the barrels in the old fashioned ‘dunnage’ (thick granite stone walls) warehouse. This adds to the character of an cnoc single malt whisky to this day.
Taste: The entry an Cnoc is a fruity one which is smooth and fresh with a long lingering finish.
[product_category category=”an-cnoc” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]