Aultmore Speyside Whisky Distillery
Aultmore was constructed in 1895 by Benrinnes-owner Alexander Edward and is located near Keith in Speyside. It was purchased just 2 years later by Oban & Aultmore now Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd this pushed the distillery forward and required the installation of a steam engine which worked 24 hours a day for the next 70 years powering the facility (The original engine is still on display at Aultmore). Aultmore distillery never had a modern electricity supply until 1969 due to how remote the facility was. This remoteness and the peat surrounding the area gave rise to many smugglers stores in the area. Aultmore has changed hands multiple times having owners such as John Dewar & Sons, Diageo and now Bacardi.
The Aultmore comes from the Gaelic ‘big burn’ (which is large stream in English) referring to the water source which is a burn at Auchinderran. There aren’t many official bottling’s of Aultmore although Bacardi did release the 12 year old, most of the whisky produced here goes into blends mostly Dewar blends.
Taste: General opinion is that it is better when water added giving more fruity and flowery elements.