Balblair Highland Whisky Distillery
This ancient north highland distillery dates back to 1790 when founder John Ross put the illicit distilling of whisky on an official footing. His son relocated Balbair however the water source remained as the original coming from the Ault Dreag burn. Balbair closed during the Great War and didn’t re-open until the closing stages of World War Two. There is a lot of history attached to Balbair partly due to the close proximity of a stone monument which was originally put there by the ‘Picts’ an ancient Scottish population. The locality was called The Parish of the Peats due to the abundance of peat in the local soil. Like many distillery’s much of the whisky goes into blends and only 15% is used for Single Malt.
Inverhouse Brewery purchased the distillery in 1996 and quickly set about changing the design and layout of packaging and released some vintage bottling’s. The 1975 being the most successful bottling. At Balblair they believe the not only the age but every aspect from the wood, the spirit, the air the surroundings all play there part and thus they handpick the very best before deciding to bottle Single Malt.
Taste: A light smoky character from the peated surroundings with fruity and spicy elements.
[product_category category=”balblair” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]