Caperdonich Speyside Whisky Distillery
The whisky giants the Grants founded Caperdonich in 1898 and it lasted a mere 5 years before closing down not to be re-opened until the mid 1960’s when whisky was having a revival in popularity. Caperdonich was like an extension of Glen Grant distillery which was across the road. The stills were almost identical and the same barley and water was used in the whisky production process, even the customs and excise insisted the same pipeline be used for both distilleries. Rumour has it that it was frequently tapped into by locals.
After Pattison’s crash Caperdonich was closed from 1902 until 1965 a long time for a distillery to lie unoccupied. When Caperdonich re-opened in 1965 all mod cons were added by Glen Grant and Glenlivet and the distillery was sold to Seagrams in 1977. Seagrams utilised the whisky from Caperdonich in its Chivas Regal and Passport blends. Very little single malt was ever produced from here apart from independent bottlings. Eventually Seagrams sold to Pernod Ricard who decided to cease production in 2002.
Taste: This whisky is complex and has a touch of everything, peaty, fruity, spicy, salty, floral with a dry finish.
[product_category category=”caperdonich” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]