Cardu Speyside Whisky Distillery
Like many whisky distilleries Cardu started life as an illicit distillery hiding from the excise men. The legal distillery was founded in 1824 by the Cumming family who had owned the farmland at Knockando the distillery is built on for at least 150 years before Cardu went legal. After legalisation Cardow as it was known then gained popularity and in 1880 expanded with the old equipment being sold to William Grant who recycled it to start up Glenfiddich, now a giant of the single malt industry. The name Cardow was only changed to Cardu in 1981.
The Cumming family sold the distillery to John Walker & Sons in 1893 and Cardu remains to this day a major ingredient in Johnnie Walker blended whiskies. When Cardu was sold Elizabeth Cumming and her son John remained running the distillery and Johns son Ronald went on to become chairman of John Walker & Sons, latterly Distillers Company Ltd. His proud family history influenced him to re-introduce Cardu as a single malt whisky in the 1960’s. His work for his services to business and the whisky industry in particular earned him a knighthood.
70% of Cardu is used in Johnnie Walker blended whisky the rest used in Cardu single malt with sales peaking in 2003 when whisky sales in southern Europe helped Diageo sell and amazing 3.5 million bottles.
Taste: A mellow amber whisky with an excellent bouquet on the nose and sweet and malty finish.
[product_category category=”cardhu” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]