Clynlish Highland Distillery
The infamous Duke of Sutherland (heavily involved in the Highland Clearances) built Clynelish in 1819. It was rumoured at the time he was looking for demand for his barley and the whisky was highly regarded and was only supplied to private buyers for a number of years. During the whisky come back of the late sixties Diageo built on the other side of the road form the original as a copy of Coal Ila on Islay with the aim of producing a peated, punchy whisky. Confusion ensued with 2 distilleries with the same name producing different whiskies and the original was re-named Brora.
The original Clynelish distillery was established in 1819 and operated until 1968 when it was replaced by the new modern Clynelish Distillery. The old distillery was then renamed Brora and continued operating alongside the new distillery until 1983. The new distillery continued with the more traditional production of an excellent and characterful malt which is highly regarded by blenders. The old distillery began the production of a rather peaty malt, this peaty malt was necessary for the owner of the distillery at the time because Caol Ila, another important distillery belonging to the Clynelish owner was temporarily closed for refurbishment, and the malt was needed for the blends of the group. The old distillery buildings still exists, and today are used as warehouses for the new one. Today only 1% of the production is sold as single malt, the remaining 99% is used in Johnnie Walker Gold Label blend.
Taste: A trace of peat with a crisp, clean taste. Some whisky experts give it a hint of mustard.
[product_category category=”clynelish” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]