Coleburn Speyside Whisky Distillery
Coleburn located just 4 miles south of Elgin is now defunct and sadly Coleburn has been converted into a modern development including a hotel and shops. The location was chosen in part due to the nearby railway line whish made it easy to transport the whisky. James Robertson & Son of Dundee who were blenders found Coleburn in 1897 with the build being completed two years later. It is rumoured the reason for the delay was the provision of a lavatory for the excise man which apparently took 18 months!
Coleburn changed hands many times including ownership form Clynelish (1916), Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD), Distillers Company Ltd (DCL) in partnership with John Walker & Sons and John Risk all in 1925.
The whisky produced at Coleburn mainly went into Johnnie Walker Red Label whisky and the distillery was closed in 1985 however United Distillers released a Rare Malt Edition of Coleburn in 2000. This was stored elsewhere as the distillery license was defunct in 1992. Independent bottlings are rare but Gordon & MacPhail have one as part of the Connoisseurs Choice series.
Taste: Reports of independent bottlings have been mixed however most report fruity, sweet malt whisky with often a spicy finish.
[product_category category=”coleburn” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]