Glen Albyn Highland Whisky Distillery
Originally founded by the mayor of Inverness James Sutherland in 1846 the whisky distillery only survived until 1855 when it was put up for sale. No buyer was ever found and it was not till 1883-84 that the new well equipped Glen Albyn was established by Gregory & Co on the south bank of the Caledonian Canal.
The distillery ceased production between 1917 and 1919 as the buildings were being used for the manufacture of submarine nets for the British Navy. When production restarted in 1920 the business was taken over by Mackinlays & Co in partnership with Mr John Birnie who had previously been employed as distillery manager by the original company. Birnie must have been delighted with his new position as he had left Gregory’s employment after a feud.
The whisky distillery continued production until 1972 when it was sold by John Birnie’s son William to the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) who operated until 1983. At this time Glen Albyn was not favoured by blenders and its main market was as a single malt whiskey. At this time D.C.L who were in financial difficulties due to the 80’s recession closed the Glen Albyn distillery in 1983 demolishing the buildings a few years later. The site was subsequently sold for construction of a shopping centre. Very rare malts from Glen Albyn came to the market in 2002 and subsequently there have bee a small number of independent bottlings which are highly rated.
Taste: Sometimes with a hint of smoke, a highly rated dry and malty whisky