Glen Elgin Speyside Whisky Distillery
About 39 miles east of Inverness where the River Lossie exits to the sea Charles Doig of Elgin the famous distillery architect designed and constructed the Glen Elgin Whisky Distillery in 1898. The construction of this fine distillery forced its creators into bankruptcy and they were forced to sell in 1900 for about a quarter of the cost (£13,000). At this time the architect predicted this would be the last distillery built on Speyside for 50 years. He was nearly right the next Speyside distillery was not built for another 60 years (Tormore).
The Glen Elgin distillery changed hands a few times in the early 1900 ‘s and it was not until John J. Blanche took over in 1906 that a stable period of 25 years whisky production got under way. Scottish Malt Distillers took over in the 1930’s and it was at this time that the single malt whiskey produced became an important component of their famous White Horse blend Scotch Whisky.
It is of interest to note that not only does this distillery use the water from the nearby Glen Burn to produce its fine malt whisky the water from this river is also used to power a turbine which supplies most of the power to the plant.
The early 1960’s brought the addition of four new stills to the Glen Elgin distillery making a total of six. Becoming available as a single malt whisky in 1977 Glen Elgin 12 year old still with the White Horse name emblazoned on the label is now exported all over the world with the main markets being in Italy and Japan. The distillery is now operated by Diageo.
Taste: More creamy than dry, a sweetly honeyed smooth malt with little saltiness.
[product_category category=”glen-elgin” per_page=”24″ columns=”4″ orderby=”date” order=”desc”]