Originally an unlicensed distillery founded in 1823 by John and James Grant in the hills of Speyside. Finally they obtained a distillery licence in 1840 and Glen Grant Single Malt Whisky went into legal production. The distillery is located in the small town of Rothes in Speyside near to the small port of Garmouth.
After the passing of the founder brothers the distillery was inherited by James (The Major) Grant who was born in 1847. This man was a real extrovert and forward thinker who installed tall, slender stills which made for a clearer colour and a malty flavour. He also installed electric light in the distillery, making Glen Grant the first distillery in Scotland to have this fitted. Later the major was also one of the first car owners in the Highlands.
On his death in 1931 the distillery passed to his grandson Douglas MacKessack. The distillery remained a family concern until the early 70’s when it was amalgamated to become “Glen Livet Distillers Ltd. A few more takeovers took place and the Distillery is now owned by Campari.
Glen Grant is the only whisky it produces. It is worthy of note that since its creation Glen Grant has only had nine master blenders who have for generations ensured its consistent high quality and taste.
In the 1950’s nearly every sideboard cellar drawer in Scotland would contain a bottle of Grants Single Malt Whisky. Since that time this historic malt has gone on to become one of the largest selling single malt whisky’s in the world.
Taste: Many different bottlings, older samples are paler, since 2007 a more standard whisky colour, all are woody with a hint of spice.