Glen Mhor Speyside Whisky Distillery (pronounced Glen Vhor) (Great Glen)
Founded in 1892 in Inverness, this distillery came into being after an earlier dispute between Mr John Birnie (Distillery Manager) and his then employers at Glen Albyn Distillery, Gregory & Co. Birnie left after a bad tempered feud and in partnership with John MacKinlay set up the Glen Mhor Scotch Whisky Distillery on the Great North Road in Inverness not far from Glen Albyn’s premises. Water for the whisky distillery was supplied from Loch Ness.
Production began two years later. In 1906 John Walker of Kilmarnock took a 40% share when the distillery became a private company. Ironically in 1920 Glen Mhor took over Glen Albyn and John Birnie exacted his revenge by obtaining the distillery he had the feud with all these years before. In 1954 Saladin Box Maltings were installed at Glen Mhor being the first whisky distillery in Scotland to use this system. These were in turn removed in 1980 because of the high cost of operation.
Acquired by the Distillers Company Ltd. (D.C.L. later Diageo) in 1972 the distillery did not survive the recession in the early 1980’s. The plant was subsequently dismantled in 1986 and two years later demolished. A Co-Operative supermarket has now been built on the site.
During its lifetime Glen Mhor did release some fine distillery bottled products, however most of its production eventually went to D.C.L. for blending. Gordon & Macphail have also released some independent bottlings of Glen Mhor Single Malt Whisky.
Taste: Treacly, sweet and aromatic