Glen Moray Speyside Whisky Distillery
Originally founded in 1897 on the site of a former brewery in the Royal Burgh of Elgin, Glen Moray started life on the banks of the River Lossie at an unfortunate time. Duty on whisky was increasing and the Pattison crash had taken its toll. The original owners the Glen Moray, Glenlivet Distillery Company having financial troubles closed the distillery in 1910.
Purchased by McDonald Muir (Glen Morangie) in 1920 the distillery re-opened in 1923. Over the next 80 years the distillery remained under their ownership and produced large amounts of single malt whisky for use in Glenmorangie’s famous blended whisky’s and other blended whisky products for supermarkets. Part of the reason for the longevity of ownership was that Glen Morangie consistently only used bourbon casks from America to mature their products from Glen Moray.
Glenmorangie plc. was taken over in 2004 by Louis Vuitton-Moet Hennessy (LVMH) and as the Glen Moray distillery did not fit in with their future plans it was again sold 4 years later in 2008 to La Martiniquaise. It would appear that the majority of Glen Moray’s output will now be used in the new owners Label 5 blended whisky which is mostly exported to the Far East.
Having said all that Glen Moray which is still an old authentic Scottish Distillery with no frills, built in the farm steading style has bottled some very good single malt whisky’s over the years and a small team of dedicated men still work at this distillery. Their 16 year old single malt whisky is one of their best.
Taste: Well rounded smooth and rich with a touch of spice.