Glenburgie Speyside Whisky Distillery
Located in the village of Alves near Forres, Morayshire this distillery has a long and initially vague history. A plaque on a wall at the site states it was founded in 1810 but there are no official records until 1829 when William Paul is recorded as the owner. The first buildings were designed by Charles Cree Doig a renowned architect of the time. Initially known as the Kilnflat distillery it ceased production in 1870.
On re opening in the year 1878 the name had been changed to Glen Burgie by the new owner Charles Kay. After a difficult period during the First World War and the subsequent financial collapse the distillery was sold to Hiram Walker & Co. who used the production almost totally for their famous blended whisky “Ballantine’s”. The distillery was modified in 1958 by the addition of two Lomond Stills which produced a heavier spirit required for blending. This in fact was released in very small quantities as a single malt whiskey named “Glencraig”. In 1981 these Lomond stills were removed, traditional pot stills taking their place.
The original distillery was demolished and rebuilt in 2003-2004 and it was one year later sold to Pernod Ricard who added another two new stills making a total of six which produce about 4 million litres per year.
This distillery has a low profile but it is one of the largest in the Pernod Chivas Group. The production still being used for blending the famous Ballantines blended Scotch whisky.
Very little single malt has ever been released by this distillery except for a five year old in the 1980s and recently a cask strength 15 year old which is for sale at the distillery. Gordon & Macphail independent bottlers have also released very occasional Glenburgie and the even rarer Glencraig.
Taste: Mellow, Malty with a slightly sweet after taste.