Glencadam Highland Whisky Distillery
This distillery is full of original character and began production just outside Brechin in the county of Angus in 1827 under the second owner David Scott who ran the distillery for 10 years before it closed. It was resurrected in 1852 when it was purchased by Alexander Milne Thomson. The next change of ownership occurred in 1891 when it was again sold this time to the Glasgow blenders Gilmour Thompson & Co. who went on to run the distillery for 61 years. Taken over by Hiram Walker’s in 1954 it continued until 1959 when two new innovative pot stills were installed. The necks of these stills point at a 15 degree vertical angle and it is said this results in a more delicate light spirit. This is also enhanced by the pure water the distillery draws from the springs at the Moorans about 9 miles away.
Hiram Walker were themselves taken over by Allied Lyons in the 80’s. The distillery continued to produce good single malt whisky until the year 2000 when Allied decided they had been over producing and closed the distillery with many job losses. This could have marked the end of Glencadam but for the intervention of Angus Dundee Distillers in 2003 who purchased the site and re started production.
Since that time the distillery has gone from strength to strength and is now producing about one and a half million litres of spirit per year. Although most of the production is used for blending the owners have also in the last few years released 10, 15 and 30 year old examples of this fine single malt whisky (without colouring) from Scotland. This distillery also has its own filling and bottling plant at the site, which interestingly is situated between Brechin City football ground on one side and a cemetery on the other so spirits of one kind or another are certainly all around this fine distillery.
Taste: Light, Mellow, Fruity with Sweet hints.