The Glendullan distillery is located in Dufftown, Banffshire right in the heart of the busiest whisky distillery town in Scotland. Established in 1897 Glendullan was the last of seven distillery’s to be built in the town.
Supplied with water from the nearby Convall hills the distillery now has three wash stills and three spirit stills.
This single malt whisky found early favour and royal patronage in 1902 when it was supplied to the court of King Edward the VII. The first owners were William Williams & Son blenders from the city of Aberdeen.
Like many distillery’s it fell into hard times in the 1920s and was taken over by D.C.L. later to become part of the Diageo empire. A new distillery was built next to the old buildings in 1972 and additional stills were installed. The old buildings are now used as workshops.
The distillery uses a combination of American Bourbon Casks and European Sherry Casks this gives the final product after ageing character and balance. Nearly all the output of approximately 3,700,000 litres per year is used in Diageo blended whisky’s such as Old Par.
However there have been several independent bottlings from Douglas Laing and Blackadder. Official bottlings since 2008 have been released under the Singleton range for the American market and these have scored very highly (92 points rated as exceptional)
This is a single malt whisky that should be considered by all single malt whisky connoisseurs.
Taste: Smooth, Soft and Sweet with a Dry Finish.