Glenlossie Speyside Whisky Distillery
Established in 1876 by John Duff, Alexander Allan and HMS Mackay in Elgin, Morayshire near the Bardon Burn the spirit from this little known obscure distillery has been almost exclusively used for blending for all of its long life. Only 1% has ever been available as a single malt whisky.
John Duff left the company in 1888 to immigrate to South Africa and Alexander Allan died in 1895 leaving Mackay as the sole owner. Mackay managed to guide the whisky distillery through the recession of the early 1900s and into the First World War but in 1917 it fell silent. The distillery was then sold to D.C.L. (now Diageo) two years later but was destroyed by fire in 1929. It was however quickly rebuilt and from 1930 was run by Scottish Malt Distillers.
As so much of the output continued to be used for blending mainly Haig blended whisky the licence was transferred to Haig (another D.C.L. subsidiary) in 1962. At this time the number of stills was increased to six.
In 1971 another distillery (Mannochmore) was constructed at the rear of Glenlossie and a plant to process the draff into animal feed is also on the same site. Glenlossie has one of the largest bonded warehouses in Scotland which can hold up to 200,000 maturing casks at any one time. In 1974 Glenlossie was appraised by blenders to be one of the top dozen single malt whisky’s in Scotland.
The only official bottling of Glenlossie we are aware of was a ten year old from the Flora and Fauna range in the 1990s and a Manager Dram. Rare independent bottlings have occasionally come from Gordon and Macphail. It is a shame that so little of this fine Speyside is available as a single malt as in our opinion it is a classic. Only time will tell what future plans Diageo have for this fine product.
Taste: Light, Balanced, Spicy and Smooth Malt