James Buchanan and William Lowrie founded this single malt whisky distillery in 1897 during the whisky boom. It is located at Mulben near the town of Keith in Speyside. The distillery began production in the year of the great Pattison crash, 1898 but managed to survive despite Lowrie being in severe financial difficulties. Lowrie retired in 1906. This left Buchanan owning 80% of the company. Buchanan is famous in his own right for his blended whisky Buchanan Blend which was later renamed Black and White with the famous logo of the white West Highland Terrier and the black Scottie Dog.
In 1915 Buchanan demonstrated just what a shrewd man he was by purchasing the title of Lord Woolavington of Lavington for £50,000. For this he paid with a post dated cheque signed as Woolavington thus ensuring that if he did not receive the title the cheque would not be honoured. In the same year he merged with John Dewar and in 1925 continuing to build his empire he merged with the Distillers Company Ltd. (D.C.L.). 5 Years later in 1930 the Glentauchers Distillery was passed to the D.C.L. subsidiary Scottish Malt Distillers under whose guidance the distillery continued to prosper. The distillery was rebuilt in 1965 and six stills were installed. For nearly all of its life the spirit from this little known distillery has been used almost exclusively for blending Ballantine’s and Teachers blended Scotch Whisky.
When United Distillers took over S.M.D. in 1985 the Glentauchers distillery was mothballed and remained silent until 1989 when it was sold to Allied. They resumed production the following year and continued until 2005 when they themselves were taken over by Pernod Ricard. In the 1980s a 12 year old official bottling was available but this was superseded by a 15 year old in the year 2000. There have also been unofficial bottlings from Gordon and Macphail and Douglas Laing.
This is a little known Speyside malt well worth trying.
Taste: Solid and Malty with hints of Citrus.