Glenury Royal Highland Whisky Distillery
Founded near the town of Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire in 1825 by the then extrovert M.P. for Kincardine, one Captain Robert Barclay (who was also a famous athlete) this distillery was started in an effort to assist local farmers giving them a ready market for their barley.
Captain Barclay who was also the Laird of Ury was very well connected to the royal court and through a friend known only as Mrs Windsor? was granted the privilege of being able to use the word Royal as a suffix to his distillery hence Glenury Royal. Captain Barclay died in 1847 and the distillery was purchased by William Ritchie of Glasgow in 1852. The distillery remained closed for 6 years until Ritchie reopened it in 1858.
The Ritchie family through a limited company retained ownership right up to 1938 when it was sold this time to Associated Distillers Ltd. Remaining silent during the Second World War the distillery passed to D.C.L. (later Diageo) in 1953. In 1966 the distillery was upgraded and the number of stills was increased from two to four.
Glenury Royal again fell silent in 1983 and was closed finally in 1985. Later all the buildings were converted into flats by a local builder.
Official and semi-official releases from Glenury Royal include a 23 year old and 29 year old bottling. In 2003 a 50 year old official bottling was released (only 498 bottles were produced) by Diageo. Glenury Royal is now a very rare and special product and the price reflects this.
Taste: A true Highland Malt Fruity and Spicy.