Linkwood Whisky Distillery
Often referred to as the Brechin distillery Linkwood distillery was established in 1821 by a local landowner Peter Brown. It wasn’t until his son William took over Linkwood that it started to gain some momentum and become known as a quality whisky distillery producing up to 20,000 gallons per year in the 1840’s. William rebuilt Linkwood in the 1870’s increasing this to 50,000 gallons per annum. In 1873 it became Linkwood-Glenlivet distillery company in an attempt to cash in on the global success of Glenlivet.
Linkwood was subsequently sold to the Scottish Malt Distillers Company in 1933 for £80,000 and shortly after taken on by Distillers Company Ltd (latterly Diageo) who placed a Gael by the name of Roderick Mackenzie who had a raft of superstitions about the production of whisky that he wouldn’t even allow for cobwebs to be removed from the still house in case it affected the taste of the whisky. By the 1960’s and with Roderick no longer there Diageo added 2 pairs of stills and tripled whisky production at Linkwood.
Linkwood is now a workhorse of the Diageo machine producing whisky for blends such as Johnnie Walker, Haig, Bells and White Horse with only a miniscule 2% being used for single malt scotch whisky.
Taste: Lavender, herbs and nuttiness with an oily palate. Often a very dry whisky.