Linlithgow Lowland Whisky Distillery
This now defunct Lowland distillery was more popularly known as St Magdalene and the date of foundation is unknown however most believe it to be sometime around 1790. The whisky distillery is on the site of a former leper colony dating back to the 12th century. Later it was used as a Convent and the name of St Magdalene was born. It was built adjacent to another distillery by the name of Bonnytoun however Bonnytoun was closed and production moved to the more successful St Magdalene distillery. The biggest claim to fame is that St Magadalene was a founding member of the Scottish Malt Distillers company when they joined with Glenkinchie, Rosebank, Clydesdale and the Grange Distilleries to form the group. This may have been the kiss of death as only Glenkinchie distillery continues to produce whisky today.
Linlithgow is a town on the main rail route between Scotland’s largest cities, Glasgow and Edinburgh and the distillery lay on the eastern edge of Linlithgow. Linlithgow at one time had as many as five distilleries in operation. What is known is that a Sebastian Henderson passed ownership to A & J Dawson in 1798 and DCL took ownership in 1912. DCL refurbished St Magdalene and whisky production peaked at 200,000 gallons per annum using its own floor maltings until 1968 when these were supplied by Glenesk.
In truth not many had even heard of St Magdalene/Linlithgow until some whisky was released as part of the Rare Malt series. Single malt scotch whisky from Linlithgow now commands a high price and is a must in the high end collectors cabinet. Sadly this great distillery closed its door for the last time in 1983 and a block of flats has replaced it.
Taste: Oranges on the nose with fruit bursting out on the palate, this is sweet but with a nutty finish.