Millburn Highland Whisky Distillery
This whisky distillery is sadly no longer with us and was originally known as the Inverness Distillery. Like most distilleries it has a history in illicit whisky distillation and the earliest record of this is that a Mr Welsh was distilling here as early as 1807. During the 19th century (we don’t know when) a local corn merchant renovated the distiller and made a more commercial enterprise before selling it to A Haig & Co in 1892, it was at this point that whisky production went legitimate. Haig & Co operated Millburn until 1921 when they sold out to Booth’s Distillery Ltd a gin producer however this did not go well with a huge fire a year later destroying Millburn. During the fire soldiers from the Queen’s own Cameron Guards helped save the maturing stock and some of the still house led by no other than Lieutenant Colonel David Price-Haig who had just sold it!
The Distillers Company Limited took pity on Millburn a few years later in 1937 and rebuilt it. Sadly the site was mothballed in 1985 and was sold to property developers, on the site stands a Beefeater pub aptly named ‘The Auld Distillery’. Millburn was the first and last of Inverness Distilleries, the Highland capital has not had great success from whisky distillation yet has grown in size on the back of the industry.
Very little single malt came out of Millburn however there are some official bottlings from the “Rare Malts Series” it is apparently a full bodied and smoky Highland whisky.
Taste: Most expressions are strong and wild and water brings out most of the flavour fruity and spicy is the theme for most Millburn whisky.