North Port Highland Whisky Distillery
One of the sadly lost whisky distilleries it is better known as Brechin distillery the town in which it is located however, when built the distillery was actually called Townhead distillery by the founders Alexander, John and David Guthrie. The local farmers built the distillery close to where the (now) football stadium is located but the site unfortunately hosts a supermarket. The Guthrie brothers took on some partners a few years later and the business name was changed to Guthrie, Martin and Co but a limited company was not formed until seventy years later in 1893. During this time the whisky distillery changed its name from Townsend to North Port. Brechin is a town on the East coast of Scotland on the North sea.
Like most distilleries is had to close during World War 1 and was taken over by DCL but licensed to the Mitchell Brothers of Glasgow before again a World War interrupted whisky production. North Port did recover but didn’t survive the whisky slump of the early 1980’s and closed its doors for the last time in 1983.
Most North Port whisky was used in Heather Dew blends but also contributed to the popular vatted malt Glen Dew.
Taste: Often described as a powerful version of Talisker it is sweet and peppery with a hint of peat.