Teaninich Highland Whisky Distillery
Founded by Captain Hugh Munro in 1817 Teaninich distillery was built on the Captain’s estate which is located in the Scottish Highlands just north of Inverness. Its better known neighbour Dalmore is located nearby on the banks of the Cromarty Firth. However Teaninich is somewhat more understated and is hidden away on the edge of the village of Alness in what is now an industrial estate. Teaninich claim to fame is that it was one of the first whisky distilleries with electricity, indeed it was at the forefront of modern methods (for the highlands) with telephones and living quarters for the Excise man.
The Captain kept Teaninich going until 1945 before handing the distillery to Lieutenant-General John Munro (local philanthropist) in 1845 but he was posted by the military out to India a few years later and leased Teaninich to Robert Pattison followed shortly after by John McGilchrist Ross. Two Elgin whisky merchants took up the tenancy for a few years before the Munro family transferred ownership into a business called Munro and Cameron. Robert Cameron becomes sole owner a few years later adding to his portfolio which included Tamdhu, Linkwood and Benrinnes. However like many whisky distilleries the next part of the ownership story may sound familiar. Teaninich was sold to Scottish Malt Distillers in 1933 and fell silent during World War 2 and was taken over by Diageo some time later.
Investment started to flow into the whisky distillery over the 1970’s and 1980’s with the still house being refitted, steam replacing the coal furnaces and an additional 3 pairs of stills added. Much the distillery was rebuilt and would be largely unrecognisable to the founders today. This split the distillery in 2 parts and the older of the parts was mothballed in 1985, both sides were mothballed at this time but the newer distillery was re-opened in 1991. A year later the first official bottlings of single malt scotch whisky was released by Teaninich.
Taste: Most describe Teaninich as Malty & Fruity both on the nose and palate with a gentle smoke in the finish.