Tormore was the 1st whisky distillery to be built in the Highlands in the 20th century and was constructed by Long John Distillers in 1958. Much of the early fuss about Tormore was not the whisky but the architectural design which has already been classified as listed building protecting it from major changes. Along with the stone balustrade, huge arched windows and fine stonework detail a small number of cottages were built to house the workers. The architect was well known in his area of expertise and had been president of the Royal Academy of Architecture. The tied cottages were put on the market in 2004 and the whole village was offered at £550,000 however they didn’t advertise that the clock tower plays 4 Scottish songs every 15 minutes which we imagine would have limited its appeal.
Creatively when Tormore was built a time capsule was buried in the shape of potstill not to be opened until 2060 and contains a tregum of Long John blended whisky for which the distillery was created to supply. Tormore’s whisky was so successful they expanded the number of stills to 4 in the seventies. Apart from the Long John Blend, Tormore does have a lightly peated single malt scotch whisky usually matured in ex-bourbon casks.
Taste: Tormore is good Speysider sweet, gentle and medium bodied with a spicy finish.