Tomintoul Highland Whisky Distillery
Unusually this distillery was a relatively modern business venture by two Glasgow whisky brokers who were aware of the shortage of malt whisky to supply the ever increasing demand for blended whisky. Hay & Macleod & Co and W. S. Strong built this modern whisky distillery in 1964 a few miles north of the Highland village of Tomintoul. The location was chosen as there had been a distillery there called Delnabo built way back in 1823 which went bust and the famous Glenlivet took ownership of the site until it moved to new premises in 1858. There was a ready supply of good water from the Ballantruan Spring.
The owners merged their business with Whyte & Mackay in 1973 and invested in the distillery increasing production. The owners are now Angus Dundee plc after Whyte & Mackay changed hands a couple of times. With the new ownership we assume there is an arrangement for Tomintoul still to supply casks for Whyte & MacKay or they have changed their recipe. Most Tomintoul is used in Whyte & Mackay Blended whisky which is very popular the world over.
Taste: Usually a light Speysider malt with perfume on the nose and a grassy taste.